Autoimmune Disease Support
As an individual that has an autoimmune condition herself, Tanya as Naturopath and Founder of Performance in Health Wellbeing Clinic has a unique understanding of the complexities of autoimmunity which is sadly increasing in western society.
In this complex condition, the body suffers from a case of “mistaken identity” as the immune system fails to recognise certain tissues and organs as part of “self” and in this confusion, starts to attack its own tissues. This leads to chronic inflammation and tissue damage.
Autoimmune Disease Triggers
Science is still unravelling the complexities of autoimmune disease with research linking a number of triggers that make up the “perfect storm” of autoimmunity. These triggers can be:
- Extreme stress: Many years ago, Tanya’s endocrinologist warned her that extreme stress is often the initial trigger that starts the attack on certain tissues. Stress has an enormous power in unbalancing an immune system.
- Gut damage and unhealthy colonies of gut bacteria: contributes to chronic inflammation that drives gaps in the digestive lining where larger particles of food and toxins are now capable of entering the blood. This is an alert to the immune system, and it will react as if it’s in danger. What people don’t realise is that certain bacteria in our gut communicate and work alongside the immune system and this is why restoring healthy gut bacteria is key in any autoimmune disease.
- Hidden viruses, pathogens and contact with certain chemicals
- Food intolerances & allergies
A holistic approach to Autoimmune Disease treatment
Often when an individual has one autoimmune disease, it increases the risk of having other autoimmune diseases. The list of autoimmune conditions continues to grow, however some of the more well-known autoimmune conditions that Tanya supports with her integrative naturopathic approach are:
- Hashimoto’s & Graves’ Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn’s disease
- Coeliac Disease
- Psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Myasthenia gravis
- Pernicious anemia
- Sjögren’s syndrome
Tanya’s thorough naturopathic investigation ensures that all triggering factors driving an individual’s autoimmune condition are uncovered and addressed. Calming an overreactive immune system is key as is restoring digestive health, reducing inflammation, removal of dietary triggers and supporting stress resilience. Dietary & lifestyle strategies combined with specific herbal medicines and nutrients to support your condition may be prescribed.
Autoimmune Disease Resources
Tanya has a range of educational blogs that may support individual’s suffering with autoimmunity.
If you seek a thorough naturopathic investigation and treatment plan for managing your autoimmune condition more holistically, please book an initial naturopathic consultation with Tanya below.
Following an Autoimmune Protocol Diet eliminates foods that cause your body to react with horrible symptoms, and ensures you are receiving all…
Ready to chat?
If you would like a thorough investigation and detailed treatment plan for autoimmune disease, please book an initial consultation with Tanya either face to face or via telehealth.